triathlon and family can mix

Recap – Week 3

That Half Marathon isn’t going to run itself.

4237163_530a948f41

Swim – 3:00:00 – 8200m
Bike – 1:59:36 – 55.6km
Run – 1:54:02 – 21.9km
Strength – 0:45:00

Total – 7:38:38

It was a great training week despite shuffling my runs around to fit in a business lunch. Usually I am proactive to book around my lunch time training but this was unavoidable. I normally would just skip the run altogether, but having registered for the Calgary Police Half Marathon there is no more time to put off the run training.

Here is my bike workout from Friday. The workout called for Power Intervals, brilliant; I love PI’s.

60 Min EM – 3×3 min PI (3 min RBI)

untitled

I completed the 3 intervals at and average of 330W and pushed hard right until the end of each 3 minute interval. The 3 minutes rest was done at 180W and as you can see form the graph, my heart rate came down relatively quickly (with the exception of the final interval). I think this points to a lack of base fitness, albeit minor, and something I will work on for the remainder of the winter season.

This weekend we went to the Glenbow Museum as a family. It is sad to say, but in my 31 years here in Calgary, I don’t actually think that I have been there. It was a blast. I mean in the quiet, walking around, and being quiet kinda way. The exhibits were interactive and I was pulling my daughter around like an excited 6 year old at an amusement park.

The highlight was the Telstar Drug sign. An iconic business here in Calgary that went the way of the Dodo Bird when the big box stores opened on the same block. I used to drive by that sign every Sunday on the way to church with my family.

Top Posts
Ironman Tattoo
Whole 30 – Day 9
Writers Block

There is a lot of resolutions being published right now. I don’t necessarily agree with “New Year’s Resolutions”, but hey, you need something to strive for. So I decided that I need to focus my goals for the next 12 months in three separate categories; personal, career, and athletic. As my lovely wife pointed out, my goals cannot always focus around getting faster as a triathlete.

One of the most positive peer pressures is announcing your goals for everyone to see, then being held accountable in the future. I am not willing to post them here yet, but stay tuned, they may end up in a post.

Question: Do you find intervals on the bike beneficial?

Advertisements

6 responses

1. Absolutely, no question. An interval day or two every week is invaluable. I find simply challenging every hill on a regular training ride – as fast as I possibly can – to be excellent for big gains. I went from an average climber two years ago to the upper crust in our group last year, simply by speeding up on inclines.

January 15, 2014 at 2:44 am

• Agreed. I throw in one interval session on both the bike and run per week. Switching things up keeps training interesting.

Good on you for working on the climbing; most cyclists want to get faster on the flats, but I reckon (same as you) that the best times are made going up.

January 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

2. sweatingforit

I am doing a lot more interval bike work this season. I’m curious, because I don’t know a ton about HRT, can you explain the connection between your HR coming down quickly after each interval making you think you have a minor lack in base fitness? Thanks!

January 15, 2014 at 9:52 am

• No problem, thanks for the question.

I failed to mention an important part. When training with power on the bike (pace on the run) and heart rate, at any given time they will correlate with each other. The better your base fitness is, the lower your heart rate will be at a certain wattage and/or pace. During a workout, if I have a power of 180W, I expect my heart rate to be around 132bpm. The time it takes to return to 132bpm after a high intensity interval, I reckon, is directly effected by your base fitness.

At the end of the third interval I did’t expect to snap right back to 132bpm as it did with the first 2, but seeing as the interval was only 3 minutes I expected to recover a little faster than I did.

One way to test your base using power is to ride for a longer period, say 1-2 hours. After a warm-up, hold a steady power for the entire workout (easier on a trainer than the road) and monitor your heart rate. If it stays constant throughout the workout, than your base it pretty decent. If you notice an increase, base fitness it something to work on. Keep in mind though that you heart rate will increase as you dehydrate, so make sure you are drinking as well.

January 17, 2014 at 11:13 am

• sweatingforit

Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Do you mind if I use your thought process in a post, with credit of course? I use a HRM but I don’t always know how to analyze the data most effectively. For the first month after my last race I tried to run in just my MAF Zone 2, just based on some very minimal research. I didn’t feel like I had the time to commit to truly try MAF training though and abandoned it. Learning more about heart rate training and heart rate variability is on my 2014 list.

January 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

• Thanks, and of course you can reference me in a post.

Good luck in the future, I look forward to reading about it.

January 17, 2014 at 6:28 pm